PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Common sense security for pilots?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2008, 02:18
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's one that I wasn't fully aware of until recently:

Police are taken to be cleared when passing through a screening point if they produce police identification.
Reg 4.10

This applies over and above their right to go to a secure area to deal with an emergency. So the ariline pilot is is subject to any and/or all provisions of screening yet the police can walk through as required (even to go to a police aircraft) by showing ID.
I'm not suggesting for a moment that it should be any other way for police but then this should also be extended to pilots displaying ASICs.

Off the record you can easily get agreement from staff within the Office of Transport Security that they have made something of a botch of the legislation in certain areas. However they are not going to instigagate any changes from their own volition. That has to come from industry with well reasoned justification for change. The acid test to any change will be - "is there any reduction in the level of security accorded to the travelling public"? Unfortunately common sense and practicality are not terms that the Dept deals in.

Last edited by Islander Jock; 23rd May 2008 at 03:31.