PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:18
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've cast my vote now. Great thread BTW.

For me neither a good nor a bad choice, but if anything I'm happy with what I've done. It has certainly been very intersting to read threads from those people whose login names I recognise over the years and recall posts from their training or instructing days who now fly with airlines and feel that it hasn't really been worth it. They have confirmed for me what I have been thinking for a year or so now. I've come this far now, check all the boxes (perhaps apart from my age) and have getting on for 700 hours but really feel that working for an airline isn't for me anymore. To be honest, I just can't see it being worth it. I'm sure I'd enjoy the flying, certainly to begin with anyway, but it's all the bullsh*t that goes along with it, not least airlines that expect you to pay for TR's, uniforms, you name it ! I definitely feel it's a young mans game. I could go on and on but really many people have articulated their own experiences in this thread better than I can already. Just reading it all makes me confirm my decision not to continue 'begging' airlines to take me on ! None have invited me to interview yet so I take the hint and perhaps ironically it's all been for the best it's happened that way anyway ! Do I really want to work for an airline that expects you to be at their beck and call 24 hours, changes rosters at a whim, long hours, few weekends off etc, for what ? 18 -24k !! As another poster has already pointed out, everyone's situation is different and for me I earn good wad, more than many captains and I get more 'free' flying than I can cope with and in many ways I am therefore fortunate in that regard. I love flying and will so long as I have a medical fly, and it is for that reason I'm not bitter about getting the fATPL and thus for me neither a good nor a bad decision, if anything a good decision as I feel a much better pilot for it !!

If I can leave you with one thought ...........please don't pay for TR's. It is in my view the single most destructive reason that T&C's have deteriorated. I can understand why people are tempted and do it, but really .......just imagine for a moment, if every single person refused to pay for a TR, hell no, let's extend that further, all of a sudden nobody signed up to do commercial training. How long do you think airlines would begin to get twitchy and start offering to pay for TR's or sponsor cadets ?? We reap what we sow !!

Need a reminder of what I'm talking about, check out the link that is currently running. Remember this is for an air taxi operation for crying out loud and probably paying less per year net than they expect the guy to fork out for the TR !!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=327851