PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily Telex, 16 May...WARNING...
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 11:58
quadspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Christep....

As I understand it, when you are talking about increases, that means moving all the points on the pay scale upwards, in addition to the increase you get automatically each year just for holding on to exactly the same job.

Those of you who have never worked in any other field may not appreciate how unusual this is and how envious many people are of you getting, say, 15% more money now than you did 6 years ago for doing exactly the same job
I'll gladly make a deal with you. Allow me to play by the same rules as you do. I WANT to be able to offer my services to the company offering the best package, I want to be a free comodity.

I've got a couple of friends working as lawyers for fairly decent lawfirms; and their employer knows that if they don't pay them market rate, they'll join someone who does. The new company will look at these guys' experience, be that 4 years of international finance deals or ship brokerage, and indeed pay them their net worth based on that experience. What they're not gonna do is to offer them a starting salary 100,000HKD/month less than their current emplyer, with the promise of a rising pay-scale which in 18 years time will put them back to their current salary.

But that's the reality for us. If no airline had a preset rising payscale, we would be free to move between airlines and play them against each other in hopes of getting the best deal from our experience. While I realize that you do not understand it, the job we do in our first year is not the same job we do in our tenth year, and that very experience is what is keeping our aiplanes on time, keeping our fuel burn to a minimum, and what is keeping us from repetedly making the same costly mistakes over and over again.

You're comparing apples and oranges here, because you do not understand the pivotal importance of seniority. Remove the payscales and seniority system, and you might even have a point.