PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Pay and the shame game
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 05:08
lemel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I would like to, you cant compare the mining industry with the aviation industry.

The aviation industry has different levels as far as the career of a pilot is concerned. You start flying bug smashers in remote aus or instruct in bugsmashers. Then you go into turbo props. From there its airlines if you are lucky enough. The problem is there are so many people trying to move up the ladder that they will go for reduced conditons (because they are better than what they are now on e.g. i would rather get 50K on a metro than 28K on a 210).

In the mining industry, there isnt a ladder. These guys dont have little mines to build experience at less pay, with the hope of moving onto bigger mines that pay better.

If the day ever comes when there is no longer GA and turbo props, only major airlines with jets, then people wont be in a hurry to climb the ladder as there wont be one to climb. I dont think this day will ever come in aus as we dont have the population to support it. If it ever did hyperthetically happen, it would be a sad day as GA is where I have had the most fun!

Lemel