PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inappropriate use of CRM?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 22:53
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly the CAA have got the wrong end of the stick by saying that we should be using knowledge from our CRM training. The CAA does not require us to undergo CRM training since the regulator stipulates that we attend CRM 'awareness' courses when we are in the classroom. Perhaps the more astute LTC/TRI/TRE may give advice and criticism on CRM aspects to crews during checks. However the amount of CRM training and instruction that is provided is woefully low so it is not appropriate for the CAA to advise us to use training that the majority of us have never received. Perhaps that is why so many of us leave CRM refresher courses thinking - well that was a waste of time wasn't it? Anyway I am drifting from the thread so back to the topic.

I am a Line Trainer at my outfit and I recently got involved in training and I had to attend a CRMI course for this. We did have a chat for a few minutes about airport security staff. The CRMI Examiner who was conducting the course reminded us that getting friendly and enthusiastic security staff had to be regarded as the exception. We must remember that they are doing a job which is viewed as unappealing, repetitive and there can't be hardly any job satisfaction either. Many of them are doing it for a paltry salary as well.

I don't let security staff wind me up. If they hold me up then it is not my problem since I am not directly affected. We obviously all work hard to meet the schedule for our customers but if security wish to disrupt that then that is not my problem and I will be delighted to inform the customers on the PA that they are late due to the crew being unnecessarily held up at security.

Finally if it is all going wrong and you are dealing with a uncooperative security official who is not going to budge on the issue at hand, take yourself out of the loop and get someone else to sort it out! It is amazing just how quickly things can get done if the flight is running late and you phone Ops and get them to sort it out. So whilst Ops are getting more irate by the minute with security, take your crew off to Starbucks for a coffee until the storm in the teacup has died down!!