PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 18:55
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris: Hope "low" V1 is referenced to Vmcg.

One thought not brought to light. I am taking off between V1 and Vr, experience an engine failure/fire-unknown immediately is the loss of Sys 2 hydraulic power due to damage. Now, in my current steed, I'm down to 50% brakes-big loss of stopping power. If it were Sys 3, I'd have 50% brakes and no steering (yes, differential brakes, but further degrades stopping). Heavy transports frequently have lots of other system problems that would best be defined, handled and planned for airborne. Once airborne, the emergency landing will be accompanied by CFR, flight attendants will be ready for an evacuation, all aircraft problems will have been addressed. The approach can be planned so the crew/ATC is ready. I just believe the airplane is safer airborne unless it cannot get there. SSG-as opposed to the Citation (I have about 2800 hours in them) most transports, even large corporate jets, just do not always operate with oodles of extra runway. I have done plenty of take-offs in the GLEX at heavier weights where we didn't 3000 feet extra. And we use APG perf calculations on every take-off. Hell, on the Kennedy Skid Strip or Edwards AFB, I'd do lots of things with an engine failure. EDW is 13,000 long by 300 wide and goes into Muroc Lake Bed.