PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those considering Emirates
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 05:54
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Crusader,

Whilst I'm sorry you are not content here, there are a few points you make that need addressing-

Firstly pensions- how many people from the "World class carriers" (read American Majors) you speak of have lost most or all of their pension entitlements, because of the complete inability for an industry to keep paying both their CURRENT and their FORMER employees? How many US carriers still offer a final salary pension scheme for new employees? If the pension contributions given by the company don't meet your requirements, SAVE!!

Sick and Vacation pay- This is a typical example of Americans thinking the whole world acts the same as it is in America. Here, you receive an ANNUAL SALARY for doing your job. If you are sick or go on Vacation, you STILL RECEIVE THAT SALARY. Recently, the company introduced flight pay and, sure enough, it is a consideration you receive when you fly.

Terms like "Trip credit, duty credit, minimum day" are American terms used at American carriers. I've worked in Australia, Japan, Europe and the Middle east. Pay and conditions and the way they are calculated vary from country to country and carrier to carrier. To come to a different country, and then complain because "It's not like this at home" shows a naivety and jingoism that is, unfortunately, not uncommon amounts people from a certain large Western democracy. What matters in the end is how much money ends up in your account. How it is calculated is, in the end, irrelevant.

As for bonds, I've had one on each continent I've worked on. So, as far as "Understanding the concept", try getting the concept that not everything is the same outside the lower 48.

Most airlines have a 4 –5 hour minimum day but not at Emirates.
None of the 7 airlines I've worked for in twenty two years have. You're not in Kansas any more....

Now, did your "World class carrier" give you free housing, medical, private education and transport to work? And what WAS the first year wage at that company?How many guys bitching at your old company because they might have to wait 4 years (or is it more like 14??) for a 777 command?

It's not perfect. It's not for everyone. But it is what it is, and is not looking like going broke as have half the "World class carriers", with most of the others looking pretty dodgy.