PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 17:35
Kerosine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSG, re stop after V1. Why do you hold such resentment against SOPs? Why do you consistently argue against what millions of hours of flying and decades of aircraft investigation have proven? Are you trying to stand out as an 'outside the box' thinker that will revolutionise air travel?

See, here's the important bit... You don't own the planes, your don't run the airline, you don't won the company, you are not the 'boss', you do not have free reign over your aircraft to do as you please regardless of SOPs, you do not make the rules. You are trained (and paid!) as a pilot to think and act according to the situation in hand, but always within boundaries. Those boundaries are set by people that have more experience, knowledge and reliable statistics than you.

Re Flex Power, your repeated attempts to exaggerate the seriousness of this procedure 'flying up to the fence' only serves to stir it up, it does not make your point more valid. As mentioned by a few, they are not flown to the fence. Besides, this concept only bothers you because you advocate the use of the 'stop after v1' idea, so you certainly would like max power from the beginning to give you that extra runway before you 'plough through the grass'.
Please don't turn this into a 'Oh god think of the passenger safety!' issue. There will always be a balance between cost and safety, to think otherwise is naive. To say that airlines are prioritising cost saving over safety is wrong, they are merely balancing them. If we were to go with your paranoid philosophy on safety, I can't imagine your airline would last long in the competitive market.

PPRuNe is where you are free to express opinions and discuss (within reason), however your are in preaching mode. Very few agree with you, I suspect the majority never will, and this might be for a reason don't you think? Or is it a case of brainwashed robots again? Hm can never tell. To top it all, you're discussing a procedure for large jets with airlines pilots... You're not an airline pilot!

I always enjoy a heated discussion, especially when it comes to technical and safety related issues, however you keep repeating the same points over and over (3 threads and counting) and I can't help thinking you're feeling a bit desperate. Then again, I may be completely wrong, you have some further interesting points and arguments to make, it's just taking you a while to get there.