PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 11:16
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Yep,

Barons, Navajos and Aztecs- and part of the brief was that below a certain speed, even if airborne, land ahead.

I was very thankful when I got into jets that I KNEW would fly above V1 if I lost a donkey!!

One point about reduced thrust take-offs that ssg, Pace and even a lot of the airline guys miss:-

It's Safer!!

Why?

Because the day I have an engine failure, I'm going to feel a lot better knowing the other engine hasn't spent its' life being flogged doing unnecessary full power takeoffs!!

The failure rate of airline engines is incredibly low, BECAUSE we baby them and don't use thrust we don't need. It's there when we DO need it (did a TOGA take-off on a gusty day in Dubai a few weeks ago in a light 777-200-IMPRESSIVE!!), but it makes for a safer operation if the engines are looked after.

ssg, if you want to bandy around statistics and cast aspersions on airline guys (by the way, if you never wanted to be one, why did you apply at least twice (and I'm guessing several times more??)), simply compare the fatality rates of airliners (which carry hundreds at a time) and biz-jets (a couple.).

We robots seem to be doing something right!