PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2008, 19:06
international hog driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foils. I have only performed this on rear engine business jets and 737NG and before anyone out there in wallyworld thinks….. ONLY EVER IN THE SIM!

Program is as follows, day cavok nil wind……. Lovely they think

Medium weight, efato 1 V1+2, eng vibe 2 V1+5 (Above 4 on the NG)….. (bastard)

Ok this is where it happens, reduce power lever = reduced vibes.

Remembering that we are now between V1 & V2 not really accelerating and nowhere near VFTO kind of waffelling and probably not yet at Vref (1.3).

737NG 70T F15 V2= 136 Vref= 152 (Vs 116)

If the punter can get a pitch angle about a6 and then baby it around the circuit with min power then they are set if they don’t overbank it while trying to tighten the circuit.

It really is a thinking exercise.

First is, is this puppy gonna fly (Y/N) Y- milk it, N- Close both leavers land straight ahead, do best you can with remaining real estate.

CANCELL THE DARN BELL

Second is now flying, Vibes V’s Thrust, Pitch V’s Speed, (Biggest Killer)

Third is where is Vref??? Can you fly below Vref? Of course you can why not 1.15 Vs? limit your turn and bank angle (Second biggest killer)

Its not an ego trip thing, as the line swine know that it can be dome in the sim, everyone thinks that they can do it. The trick is the pitch angle and being happy to live below Vref with no power adjustment.

On the NG 78% thrust comes from the fan, 22% core, do you want any residual thrust? Of course you do on both sides! Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

Burn baby burn, you want every ounce you can get, hence the don’t touch anything below 1500. In this circumstance you firewall it and leave it to burn.

The guys from a hands on background generally do well, the straight from school to 737 type are hopelessly lost while being addicted to VNav. Most don’t realize that you can fly safely below Vref. Or even VMCA in some of Canada's finest(F40 in a TwinOtter) I dont reccomend it though.

As Dirty Harry said once “A GOOD MAN KNOWS HIS LIMITATIONS” and that holds true here, If you know that you can fly outside the “Numbers” in a “Non Normal” that has no QRH reference then you know the machine and you leave that trick in the bag for when you are gonna need it (Hopefully never).

If you cant tell already, I too am a hands and feet man and to this day stuff I learnt way back when keeps me ahead of the pack, which is sadly something a lot of the newer folk will never learn.