PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 17:50
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most important issue of aborting after V-1 would be brake energy limitations in my opinion. However, that being said I have operated aircraft off of 10, to 15,000 foot runways with a BFL of less than 5,000 feet. As the actual ground run distance was in the neighborhood of 3,500 +/- feet that would leave at least twice to three times of distance of runway remaining verus runway used to stop.

I feel that comes down to Situational Awareness. If I was in a lightly loaded 727 with a BFL of 5,000 feet and was taking off on a 12,000 foot runway I would discuss aborting after V-1 with the rest of the crew. However, you have to take into consideration the type of aircraft you are operating. In the 727 for an example V-1 is also V-R under most conditions. Therefore, in the 72 the point is mute because unless the reason for the abort is a major flight control malfunction or failure there is an excellent chance that after V-1 you be airborne; an entirely different situation requiring you to land the aircraft to abort, not a good idea.

But..........remember the AA DC-10 accident at Chicago. In that case putting the aircraft back down on the runway could have very possibly save many lives. Then again maybe not.

I guess the bottom line is, if in the slightest doubt, fly.