PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flyglobespan former cabin crew manager deputy head of training !
Old 17th May 2008, 14:07
Afinehelmet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy Riddle,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that GSM doesn't have it's issues. I was recruited last year when things all went pear shaped and like many others was faced with a very uncertain winter. I was far from happy believe me, so I know more than most about the problems that GSM had late last year.

Thankfully, things worked out and my roster is pretty stable now thanks for asking. In fact, it's been 5 on 3 off since Feb hence my optimism for the future. As for crewing, I find if I talk to them with a bit of respect, the same comes my way. And after a flight, if you're duty changes the next day so what? You're at work anyway so what does it matter if you're coming in a little earlier or later than planned? At least your days off are set in stone. At least my days off have never been altered anyway.

But can I ask what positive steps you are taking to improve things? Are you advising all your flight deck colleagues to join BALPA? I am.

As for the contractors, many I speak to are actually quite committed to making the company a decent place to be. I'm sure if there was a push for BALPA recognition, then a lot of the contractors would be happy to become PAYE employees as many of them are BALPA members anyway.

Whining on an anonymous forum is not (IMHO) the way to improve your lot at GSM. If you don't like it (clearly you don't at the minute), then lead a push for union recognition or vote with your feet.

But from my experience, there's a lot worse out there and I'm sure things will improve in the coming months. After last year's disaster and the "cull" at the top, let's give the new management team a chance.