PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda again !!
Thread: Garuda again !!
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 09:24
ecureilx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad weather ..

just a 2 cent of my experience in asia ..

when I was in india once, despite the horrible weather, the airlines were flying.. and we had some nasty air pockets.

one of my colleagues, a british commented that they should stop flying if the weather is bad, instead of subjecting passengers through the roller coaster rides.

An indian Railway engineer seated next to us casually commented - "if we stop operating in bad weather, we will never have flights in this part of the world for half the year, and secondly, in Europe cancellation will inconvenience a few thousand people, while in Asia, cancellations will create a domino effect running into 10 times or 100 times stranded passenger, compared to Europe.

And same goes for the train services in India. Apparently, even when there is severe storm, they prefer to operate, even at slower pace, and keep stopping when the floods are overflowing bridges and such, than cancel trains and strand many more thousands, just from one day of cancellations.

Not every country has the luxury of hiding under covers when it rains, I guess.

Coming to Garuda, while aussies have a serious love hate affair with Indonesia, (including the public roar in Aussie for the Bali Nine) Garuda is not as horrible as the picture being painted. Maybe an Aussie can tell why Aussies hate indonesia, but still insist on partying and holidaying in Indonesia.

GA maintenance and training is supposed to be top notch, though you have slips when you are forced to fly and keep the country alive, rather than run for covers when it seems to be bad WX. It is far far from Adam air and such, in terms of MX and pilots.

Maybe one of the Indonesian experts can enlighten all of us

I gotta agree though you do get a few rotten apples here and there, maybe those in GA get caught more often ...

Got to run for cover now...

Over and out