PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BWA Unanswered Questions
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2001, 22:30
Horatio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Virtual Mountie, first and foremost, I offer my condolences to you and all of your colleagues at BWA. It is indeed a sad day when any airline fails. From what has been said by a number of your colleagues, BWA had a very able, loyal, competent and determined team that did their very best to strengthen and keep the airline afloat. I personally know a number of these people and I can assure you that they are very capable individuals indeed, with a very successful track record behind them. This is the reason for my response to you.

I understand, and indeed sympathise, with your predicament right now. I can imagine a whole cocktail of emotions that you feel, ranging from shock, disbelief, despair, anger and frustration. Whilst these are natural emotions, anger makes folk want to hit out against someone else even when it is not justified. In this context, I believe that you do yourself no justice or credit whatsoever to publicly condemn and insult your former colleagues for what has happened. A lot of what you say is conjecture, supposition and worse still, potentially libellous. I cannot imagine that you need to compound the problems that you are currently facing. It is a well known adage in this business that ‘what goes around, comes around’ and it does not pay to alienate oneself from people that you could probably encounter again in your future career. Best way to react is as you have been taught to in the cockpit; sit on your hands, keep cool, assess the evidence, and then make a cold rational decision based upon the ‘facts’ in front of you. This advice is given sincerely and sympathetically and I hope you will not take it as patronising.

Sept 11 was the catalyst that ignited the ‘domino effect’ resulting in the world-wide misfortune of aviation. Most had deep-seated problems that were already there long before Sept 11, but had not been addressed. Take comfort from the fact that BWA managed to survive considerably longer than many have and that maybe part due to the dedication and ability of those you now choose to condemn. Also, take comfort from the fact that there are many ‘green shoots’ sprouting up right now in aviation and that this blow maybe be short-lived for you and your colleagues.