PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross country in the winter
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2001, 06:46
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The de-icing stuff does work. Don't know what it is, but White Waltham have some, which they charge pilots to use, unless you fly a club aircraft in which case it's free (but they don't like you using much of it!)

We probably all know from de-icing our cars that water will not work, even warm water, if the temperature is still below freezing! How many times have you de-iced your car with water, only for it to re-freeze? I know I have! But water should be fine if the temperature is above freezing. However, remember temperature decreases with altitude - personally, I'd rather use de-icer.

Interesting thing re. carb ice - in Phoenix, AZ, where I'm flying at the moment, the school I'm hiring from told me they don't use carb heat at all. Even when the temperature is around about freezing, and there are clouds around, as was the case last week. Apparently something to do with the difference between Lycoming and Continental engines, the carb configuration, and the inlet on Lycoming be routed through the warm oil sump. Anyone else know anything about this? I was very sceptical, and have been checking for carb ice regularly, but sure enough no sign of it, even at times when I know I'd be getting serious carb ice back in England. I don't recommend this, by the way, just want to find out more about it!

FFF
---------

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: FlyingForFun ]