PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross country in the winter
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2001, 02:35
M14P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your time will come!

The main points to bear in mind are that airframe ice, as iterated by Mr Greaser, is very unlikely to occur outside of cloud and therefore will not be a problem. However, it is quite likely that you will set out early in order to maximise the short daylight period and the aircraft may well be frosty or have icy deposits on it's surface. It is imperative that this is comletely cleared and that hinges and actuators are clear before departure. The effect of ice laden wings on an aircraft struggling to get airborne can be dramatic and catastrophic (as I have witnessed).

Recently there has been a fairly high propensity to carb ice - some of the worst I've seen. It is true that it is likely to strike in summer months also but I am merely reporting recent conditions. Don't be alarmed, however, regular checks and increased vigilance is completely effective. Use the Carb Temp guage (if fitted). If it does occur then be prepared for the engine to protest a little as it eats a few chunks of melting ice: it gets worse before it gets better.

Another hazard of winter aviation is low and watery sunlight which can reduce into sun visibility very significantly. Be prepared for this and fly as accurately as possible and have faith in your nav planning.

Most important of all: Have fun!