PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2008, 11:27
BigShip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limits

ILS 23 - 90 seconds before the incident as 29 kt from 290 with gusts 47 kt
For the steady crosswind that is only a 25,11kt crosswindfactor.

That is a max gust factor of only 40.7kt at RWY 23, but with an ILS

Granted AB OM-B says demostrated values (33g38), because they did not fly with higher winds while testing.

I think it is better to stick with the rules of: consider gusts if operational significant or something like that as printed somehow like this in the LH manuals as I got told.

This gives the judgement to the Commander.

Approaching HAM via RWY 33 and the buildings close by and only a non precision approach is definetely the second choice for me. There must have been good turbulences in the T/D sector on 33 that day.

For me decision was o.k. and would have started the approach as well. But definetely not on 33.

By the way FlightDetent, check your AB manual about landing technique and you will see, that the manual is very brief about it and never mentions to drop the wing a little bit and touch with the upwind LG first. But you got to do this in heavy winds and will not be able to land without doing it.

But this a liability reason and not so published in the manuals from AB but from the airbus pilots it is trained to the customers. ;-)