PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Incap at 80/100 - what to do?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 20:34
ssg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm

Yes the planes are certified for these events...engine out, TR deployments, ect ect...but you knew that right?

A pilot that just throws the levers forward and waits for V1 and VR without looking outside to see how much runway he's burning up in the process should be serving tacos somewhere...

What if your flaps are set wrong, pitot tube blockage, flat tire on take off, engine doesn't produce enough thrust, TR deployment, Spoilers accidentaly deployed...whatever...all will increase runway distance....so if your just looking at your AS indicator with a flat tire, waiting for V1, not looking outside...your gonna crash....

Eitherway, I don't think every scenario is on the checklist or SOPS manual either...so that requires a pilot to look outside once in a while and say 'gee whiz we aren't at V1 yet and 85% of the runway is behind us....hmmmm"

But hey...what do I know?

I can't tell you how many pilots never got to V1/VR having crashed at the end of the runway because they had a locked brake solonoid, flat tire, engine wasn't generating power, fuel issues...on and on..but they just kept looking at the AS indicator. How about the guys that put it in to the Potomic? Slats in, but they just kept going...never got off the ground...flew it to the fence, pulled up, crashed....

The concept that you run the numbers, then fly it to the fence, then pull up, should get atleast a couple of people in here wondering if that makes sense. Hope springs eternal.

You seem to miss the concept that the V speeds are based initialy on runway length...your at a particular speed at a particualar place on the runway...hence should you abort, at that particular speed at that particular place on the runway, then you have enough runway to stop, from that particular place and given speed to stop before the end of the runway, if the numbers are correct.

You understand that right? Your V speeds are related to your position on the runway?

So if your at V1 and burned up 85% of the runway, you see that as a problem right? You get that right?

So when I see an airliner burning up 90% of the runway to get to VR. I know he didn't have the right numbers. Given on normal days, V1 and VR are pretty close to each other, I know you cant stop an airliner in 1500 feet at 125kts, even with super pilot at the wheel.

737...if your just sitting there waiting for the airspeed to tell you what you want to hear, regardless of where you acutaly should be on the runway, then you will have an accident. But hey...Taco Bell is hiring!

The fact is...737...if your not looking outside to see how much runway your burning up to get a read on whether the plane is performing, that you are in the right place at the right time....I honestly doubt you will catch you capt between V1 and VR having a silent stroke....this thread is moot for you...

Am I the only one in here that undestands the 60/40 rule and what it means?