PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Incap at 80/100 - what to do?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 15:05
A-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just so happens we train for this...

In my previous company we routinely trained PF incapacitation at 80kts, and just before V1, and what a useful exercise it was too. It taught me to consider (before line up) what my actions would be at each case, based on the prevailing conditions and terrain. After much thought I now find that my usual thought process leads me to conclude that up to and including no response at 80kt and then louder at 90kt (including verification glance), I’ll smartly STOP.

Between there and V1 I tend to conclude it would be better to go for a little flight, get a hostie to read me the landing checks as per their training, and make a nice landing with an ambulance in attendance. HOWEVER, if the departure is a particularly challenging one with close mountains and very bad weather etc, I tend to be very stop minded indeed, and the briefing will reflect this.

Great posts* by the way, it certainly doesn’t hurt to be made to think about it.

*(With probably one exception, and by the way “over and out” isn’t correct RT either - you know who you are.)