PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Incap at 80/100 - what to do?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 13:59
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Warmkiter,

We normally operate with V1s in the region of 130-145 kts. - so a stop initiated at 100 kts is really childs play.

I have absolute confidence that our FOs can handle both a "stop" and a "go"-decision - I just protested against those who seemed to imply that they would be pressed to handle a 100-kt. stop I've yet to see an FO bungle one of those in the sim.

In my mind, the only question is which is safer - stop or go? I sense that over the last couple of years the industry has gone from go-minded to stop-averse, and that's not necessarily a healthy development.

Some situations clearly dictate a stop - some clearly dictate a go - and some fall in the gray area in between. An incap verified passing 100 kts. clearly falls in the latter area - but in my mind, the stop side of the coin comes up every time on this one.

From a TEM point of view - the longer one of us operates single-pilot, the greater the chance of problems. A stop requires you to close the TLs, disengage the AT, deploy the reversers and monitor the autobrake. So 4 actions to be acomplished within 5 seconds vs. 100-odd actions to be taken over 15 min. in a return scenario... The thing is that even if the FO bungles the stop, we only run over at 60-odd knots and have the cabin-crew to direct an evac from the smouldering wreckage - whereas if he/she bungles the return, we end up as a LOC/CFIT statistic, and ATC and the CC are but helpless spectators.

There is a difference between being go-minded and stop-averse - and this is one such case.

Best,
Empty

PS Edited to tell you that present lot try to tell us all that we're overpaid bus drivers and try to create so many procedures that there is a procedure for everything. Thinking is dangerous and must be discouraged at any cost. However, a good training department tries to counter that, and succeed in doing so. AO'S - I salute thee So - that kind of airline!