PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the £100 for ?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 21:19
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the £100 for ?

About to start my CPL in the near future and I have been chatting to some current/previous students about what to expect etc.

All the usual answers until they got to the bit about the 170A.

All said the same, you pay the school for the a/c and the CFI/Deputy CFI to take it as one would expect, but this next bit has me baffled. They said that the CFI's expect you to pay £100 in cash to them as well for taking you on the test and you don't get a receipt for it

Apparently they do the same to PPL students too (which I didn't do with them), and again for the IR.

Now in the bigger picture, £100 isn't a huge amount, but this is expected EACH time you have to take a 170A.

Some people also said this is the "norm" at other schools too, so just thought I'd ask if it is or is this school trying to pull a fast one in basically bribing the CFI to pass you, and if you don't pay up then they will fail you regardless of how well you have done - of course they know you cannot take the real test until they have passed you on the 170A, or is there some legitimate reason for it ?.

Not too happy about it personally and at the moment it isn't too late to pull out, but then I wouldn't be able to get on another course with another school right away, so might just have to fork it out rather than further delay training.

Any advice greatly appreciated.