PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Euromanx- 2
Thread: Euromanx- 2
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008, 02:45
Sanford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foreign pilots

BR, I agree with you wholeheartedly and nobody can blame those foreign pilots who came here simply looking for pilot jobs. I do feel that we have to understand that, now that Europe is more open, those pilots have just as much right to fly here as locally based pilots and all local pilots can go to work in other European countries where opportunities exist.

I can also see dontdoit's point of view as I was told by a former Euromanx pilot that there was quite a serious problem regarding the unfairness at Euromanx regarding opportunities and promotions for pilots within that company. Apparently the inexperienced Austrian pilots there were all promoted well above the more experienced pilots of other nationalities and the other experienced pilots were treated with total disrespect. My guess is that dontdoit was probably reacting to that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was that true or just hearsay?

I really feel that a place like the Isle of Man is in dire need of it's own locally based and run air service, locally sponsored and professionally run. Flybe seem to be a solid and well run company and their standards are high in all respects. However, the Isle of Man is just another outstation for them and their IOM passengers are going to see a large price rise due to their monopoly on the key routes. As good a company as they are I don't see them as the long term solution for the Isle of Man. The island needs it's own dedicated home airline. The IOM Govt must be realizing it themselves now after Euromanx's failure. Perhaps the Govt could consider funding and launching a true national Manx airline that would be run to the same high standards as Manx Airlines was and funded properly by the Govt?

The "open skies" policy appears to have been a disaster over there. I was hearing stories of all kinds of corners being cut including basic airline safety! Competition might be great in some businesses but it doesn't always help in aviation, too many corners get cut to save cost, safety included! Flybe are not one of those culprits thankfully, they always do things professionally and safely. At least we have them. Pay your £500 and you'll arrive in one piece!

I would ask all of you professional people to approach the Isle of Man Govt about starting a solid Isle of Man airline again. As a regular business traveller I need that and my colleagues do too! Contact your local Govt representative and discuss it with him.

We all need Manx Airlines back so let's speak with the Govt and make it happen!

Good luck to all at Euromanx who lost their jobs.

Sanford