PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPPL to France
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2008, 11:38
moggiee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by homeguard
we could do with some that over here rather than resorting to the attacking of NPPLs as being cheapskates.
It was the original poster who mentioned that he switched to an NPPL to save money.

Originally Posted by bern444
I switched to the NPPL a couple of years ago to save money on yearly medicals,
My point (and the same point is made by others) is that if the financial considerations were all that mattered, then the trade off is the restriction of privileges compared to a full PPL. Life's like that - swings and roundabouts - and where an NPPL holder can save 13 hours training towards licence issue and have lower recurrent costs, they have to accept that there are restrictions.

This is not attacking NPPL holders, especially as they knew the situation when they got into it. I'm not saying that they rules make sense, but those are the rules and no-one should be surprised that they find themselves restricted by their NPPL.

It's similar to getting an "automatic only" car licence - it takes less training, saves money and gives you an easier test. However, you can't drive a manual car until you pass a full test.

I have sympathy for someone who, for medical reasons, is unable to obtain a full PPL, although it could be argued that if it wasn't for the NPPL they would have nothing.

Last edited by moggiee; 12th May 2008 at 11:49.