PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standard Spin Recovery
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2008, 23:53
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest these days the majority of instructors coming out of the sausage factory have as much clue about spinning thier machines as the students do.

The first time they will have done a spin is on thier FIC which if they have done it in a cessna won't be a proper spin. It will be a turn or 2 with the help of the rudder which when released stops spinning anyway.

I have only ever once been in a fully developed spin in a C150 and it was with the FII in control when he manged to flip it over the top by stalling it in a steep turn and putting full roll control inputs in. Never managed to repeat it and never seen a C150 spin like it since. He did the "procedure" it didn't work and he had to put power on to get some rudder back.

The regulation that all planes must NOW be able to recover using this standard recovery maybe explain why there is not many if at all new designs on the market which are spin certified.

Just to add any PA38 pilots out there don't use the above technique to recover a tommy, Do as the book says.

Does anyone have a link to the requirments of flight test for new aircraft?

PS DFC not fair removing that post which told everyone that you are now a certified test pilot for light aircraft. I was quite looking forward to some of the responces to that little gem.

Last edited by mad_jock; 12th May 2008 at 10:26. Reason: flippant comment on a subject I find interesting