PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2008, 19:25
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glue Ball, go easy!
You can't compare this to the Kai Tak approach, it is a special airport and a very special approach that requires specific training. Your mentioning it as something that is possible to do is irellevant. WhiteKnight is in the process of learning what's right and wrong and not the limits of what is possible to do with a 737. Being professional is about maintaining a margin to that limit and this is usually done by following the SOP. Some of the suggestions I've seen on this thread coming from what I understand as being the jurassic type captain, are appalling.

Whiteknight - It's been suggested that you were perhaps too high and too fast for the approach. I'm not going to comment on this as I don't know your type.
Your issue is quite common and it's happened to me a few times aswell so I feel I can relate. You've set yourself up to a profile of your choice. You had your plan. Suddenly the Captain is given a choice, to shorten the approach or to continue. In his world, with his level of experience, it is doable. In your world and with your level of experience it is not and furthermore, it isn't a part of your plan, thus screwing up your approach. What he has done is to indirectly control your profile by accepting a clearance. This is a prime example of poor CRM. He has the choice and you're flying the plane. If he in that case does not take your wish into consideration - all it takes is for him to look at you and for you to give him a nod or a headshake before he answers ATC - he might aswell be flying the plane (which he eventually did).

If you decide to take it up with him, first of all base your whole reasoning on the fact that you are inexperienced. Apparantly he hasn't understood that part... Then open up by admitting that you perhaps were to fast and a little high, but also explain that your learning curve would have benefitted from being able to solve that situation yourself by not accepting the shortcut. Either he believes himself that he has good CRM, and in that case, he'll try to understand what the heck you're saying, or he's of the jurassic type and he'll just not give a s&%t. Either way, you will have learnt his viewpoint and that will help you to deal with him in the future...

/LnS