PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standard Spin Recovery
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2008, 17:37
homeguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard Spin Recovery

Of course there is a 'standard spin recovery'. Of course when a specific recovery technique is stated in the POH it is presumed to be best method for the particular aeroplane. NOT always so, however. The Piper Tomahawk (PA38) and the Slingsby Firefly (T67) both were in error in the recommended POH techniques and later modified.

The terms 'pause' and 'nuetral' I believe are too vague.

The 'Standard Spin Recovery' technique known to me is;

1. Close throttle
ascertain direction of rotation
2. Apply maximum opposite rudder
maintain stick fully aft until rotation slows, then
3. Move stick progressively forward
when rotation stops
5. centralise rudder
gain sufficient speed
5. Level wings and recover from the dive.

At first the increase in rotational speed with the PA38 wasn't understood as resulting from the desired pitch down. It was wrongly thought to be a deepening of the spin. Further, the increasing rotational speed required a multiplying number of rotations to recover with an associated height loss. The manual therefore required a re-write.

At times the T67 required the stick to be progressed fully forward for the recovery to be successful. A number of RAF crews evacuated only to watch their aeroplane recover on its own, as they floated to earth. The manual required a re-write.

I doubt whether the Standard Spin Recovery will ever let anyone down, if properly executed, although sometimes it is not the precise proven technique found in the POH. Just the same it is perfectly reasonable to be widely taught, so to be in the non-aerobatic pilots 'rule of thumb' armoury.

Many will argue with vigor that only the POH technique should be used, I understand why they are saying that but such a demand is not very realistic for use by the average weekend PPL holder following a non-intended entry.