PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: Latest Rex Media Releases re:Routes & the Pilot Shortage
Old 8th May 2008, 06:22
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Professionals or prostitutes?

ACMS
While there are plenty of wannabies who are prepared to do it for low wages, they will get low wages. Just like GA.
I earned $43,000 flying a kingair fifteen years ago.
I could never understand why pilots, who I thought were intelligent people would spend so much time and money getting trained for jobs that just were not there. It's been happening for thirty years. It's still happening.
In this supposed pilot shortage, it appears that only about one in a hundred are considered suitable for airlines. Some pilots do not even get a reply to their application, and of the ones that do, three quarters are rejected before trainig starts.
The rejected ones, and those who do not get a reply often go on to have distinguished careers elsewhere. (sometimes with overseas airlines)
Airlines do not like spending money on training, and they will steal trained pilots from elsewhere if they can. It has always been so. It did not start yesterday.
A CPL is not necessarily a free ticket to a golden skygod job. People who want an airline job are taking a big risk if they spend money on training without some sort of agreement with an airline.
But still they come. And they work for low wages, and complain.
Just like GA was. What's new??