PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First flight with wife and children onboard
Old 21st Nov 2001, 04:32
Cusco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

AA

Another slight change of perspective..
8 or 9 years ago number 1 son, courtsey of HMG flying scholarship and a few more hours paid for by doting parents got his PPL aged 17 several months before his driving licence.

Onday less than a month post PPL we all went back to his flying school where after a 2 hour conversion on a Warrior (did his PPL on a C152) and with only 52 horrs said son took me, his 15y.o. sister and Mrs Cusco for a one hour flight in what I (and I wasn't a PPL at this time) felt was pretty marginal weather.

I have to admit to being the one egging him on as had never been in a SEL. He wasn't su sure but he did it.

Result? I got hooked, booked in (to a different flying school nearerto where we lived and got my PPL in five months through the sh*tty winter of 92/93.

My daughter found the whole flight *boring* and slept for most of it.

Oh and Mrs Cusco? : she was scared sh*less by my sons demonstretion of some of the A/c envelope edge characteristics, arrived back on the ground with bleeding palms and has never been in a SEL again.

Which is a great pity as I mostly flo alone or with friends (and children) to some wonderful places including good ole LFAT for lunch and Mrs C misses out.

So send em up with an instructor (without you) on anearly morning or late evening flight on a still winters day when the air is like treacle.

Then when they disembark, observe their body language, don't ask them how they got on but wait for them to speak first. Then you'll know.............

Happy Flying.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Cusco ]