PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First flight with wife and children onboard
Old 20th Nov 2001, 21:46
Southern Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA

I wouldn't necessarially agree that your wife and kids fly with someone else - no point in that at all, at least that's what I would think. But if you are going to do the flight, perhaps with your wife only at first, leaving your children in suspense for another day?

Another thing - its funny what we might take for granted that, said wrongly, sounds worrying to a non-pilot. When my (then girlfriend, now wife) flew with me for the first time in a PA28 to Le Touquet from Denham, after takeoff I mentioned that since two sets of eyes are always better than one, if she happended to notice any other aeroplanes in the air, she should let me know. This went down like a cup of cold sick. The implication drawn by my nearest and dearest was that (i) planes could come from anywhere, (ii) they do so often, (iii) there is a material risk of collision and the air is dangerous and (iv) why the h*ll are you not looking out isn't that your damn job and by the way, where are the snacks and the drinks???

SO what started off as (at least in my view) a smart "note to passengers", ended up as a bit of a disaster.

So watch what you say and when, and take extra time to explain why you suggest various things, since a pleasure flight over your house is a pretty bad reason to have a marital bust up!