PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REPORT YOUR HEADING TO..........
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2001, 23:01
NorthernSky

Angry

I don't often get hot under the collar (Mrs NorthernSky doesn't like it - she has to give me one of her Indian head massages afterwards, and we usually end up opening a more costly bottle than we normally would...) but some of the remarks here do not indicate a professional attitude to our work.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, in that order. However, where ATC have applied separation, there is a definite need under all three headings to communicate details of that separation to the next controller.

Often, that separation is applied just prior to transfer in order to ensure that the presentation of traffic to the next sector is correct, so electronic transfer would not be fast enough anyway.

We should be sufficiently aware of this to give priority to this important task. Too many of us miss the basics of good RTF - and this leads to incidents and accidents. Read the transcripts of the Tenerife tragedy, for example, to see the effect of dubious communication.

Many very senior pilots, training staff included, don't know or don't bother with the elementary stuff, such as reading back instructions which require a mandatory read-back.

Let's all take the original post as a reminder to be clear, concise, correct, and professional.

We are all shovelling hard at the coal face, and we don't need a tragedy caused by sloppy personal discipline.

Now, down to the cellar!!

------------------
'Brighten my Northern Sky' Nick Drake R.I.P.