PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centre Line
Thread: Centre Line
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 22:58
CaptAirProx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Driver. Your brief account of how you teach such subjects is interesting. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat. And I always like to poke my nose over fellow instructor's shoulders to see what works for them. I often find I learn something new that I can then pass on to the un-initiated. You say we (collectively) have such differing views on whats to be done. However, you then say we are basically saying the same thing. I'm confused now!

Your use of camcorders and some quite brain teasings titles for your techniques is quite impressive. I am unfortunate to not have the use of a camcorder, so I can't employ that technique. This means I can only stick to go old fashioned words, phrases and techniques - Get the bod in the pilots seat and demonstrate once with words and pointers. Then sit back allow them to have a go and use my skills to establish there short comings and gently point them to the right picture. This may mean allowing them to fly 1-2ft above the runway just above touch down speed. They accomplish this by doing what I said in my earlier response.

As someone said earlier, I think we talking in reference to initial training. i.e. giving someone a grounding from which to build their own techniques for the future. This has to be safe, consistant and understandable at all levels of intelligence. I am of the impression you are referring to advanced flying skills, of which I have less experience of training. I would therefore imagine the odd ab-initio student baffled by your use of words? I appreciate explaining on this medium is unrealistic. And I would still be interested to hear your method in detail.

I do object though to hearing you play down someone's quite reasonable suggestion in the light of the original question. (Think it was Kermit or Genghis). Particularly as you did say "we" do seem to be talking on the same theme. Just have different ways of saying it. "we" say - "looking down the far end of the runway", you say - ? gosh I can't remember what it was now. It confused me!!!

Anyhow I must get off this network now. Not because Im going to fly a very interesting aircraft such as yourself. But because I'm on standby for my company!

As to your final question......go on tell us, cos I know you want to. Ain't got a clue what it is but then I'm just an average pilot from the "pilot pool".

Safe landings!

ps I do agree with your foot note. Saying no is always the life saver.