PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centre Line
Thread: Centre Line
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 13:22
1.3VStall

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

In gliding we teach students to use the "reference point" on the approach (used to be called aiming point). This is the point at which the aircraft would hit the ground if the pilot didn't round out for landing. Having no throttle, the student is taught to use the airbrakes to maintain the reference point at a constant position in the canopy.

Of course the danger is that the student becomes so fixated with the reference point that he flies into it (ground attack pilots will be familiar with the term "target fixation").

We therefore teach the students to consciously raise their eyes to look at the far end of the airfield just before the roundout point - say 20' above the ground. This gives them the right perspective to judge the round out and subsequent landing.

After a while this technique becomes natural and I have to say that I don't have any trouble tracking the centreline of a runway either in a glider or my taildragger (for airbrakes substitute throttle) whether in a crosswind or not.

I hope this helps.