PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Screening Out The Nutters
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2008, 08:35
Cap'n Arrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Homeguard

Whilst I can see where your annoyance at this "Instructors High Ground" in this thread comes from, it is not about someone who fails to make the field a few times in a forced landing, or who take longer than usual to go solo.

It is about those rare students who consistently knock back advice or instructions given to them, and who have the attitude that they know better. The ones who consistently have incidents, doing stupid things like descending without a clearance more than once, damage aircraft regularly, and refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions, unless they do something right. As a 600 odd hour instructor, yes, I do know more than the guy on his 3rd lesson about flying a plane, even though I do not and never will know everything. It's not about arrogance, it is a simple fact.

As an instructor I have a duty of care. I have to take care that the student I am instructing, or sending solo, is not about to do something outside his limits, be they physical limits, or just a big crosswind, or become a danger to himself or anyone else along the way.

Fact is, the way I see it, nutters isnt the best word. Only nutter I ever heard of asked for a trial flight in a warrior to take him up to 15000', where he would get out but be ok thanks to his protective invisible shield. And I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the 80 hours to first solo students, the ones who push on because they love flying, and strive to improve and listen to everything they get told, even though they take longer to learn.

Even of the ones who initially have an attitude problem, many of them will calm down after a serious talking to (or 2) by an instructor. There is, however, the rare one out there who will not, and I believe that is the type of person about whom advice is being sought. Should a decision need to be made, I agree that one person cannot make it, however after transferring his training to another instructor, if he/she also has similar issues, it is probably a little more than yourself not getting along with the student.

Anyways, that went way longer than intended. It's not a personal attack on you homeguard, just my opinion. Comments welcome, and I'm off.