PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I am the CPT so you do as i say
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2008, 01:42
FireLight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS

To follow up on wiggy's comments, a few thoughts.

As a general rule, it seems to me that the ideal course of action would be to bring up the subject directly with the Captain. Assuming he/she isn't of the "Captain Bligh" school of management, he/she may be open to a discussion if it's approached properly and at the right time. I think going to the Managers first, if you haven't tried to sort things with the Captain first, has some risk of escalating the situation.

There may be a time to request a minute of the Captain's time, especially if its adversely affecting the performance of the CC. In order to have this discussion it would be preferable to have it away from the flightdeck so he/she isn't preoccupied with flight operations and it's a private discussion.

Ideally, the discussion would be respectful, professional and serious. It would affirm the authority of the captain. It wouldn't be accusatory, otherwise the discussion may end quickly. If would identify the objective of the discussion as something along the lines of effective, efficient and harmonious flight operations. On those terms the Captain may be prepared to identify what he/she would like to see from the CC which would ease stress. This dialogue would at least offer the potential of identifying the important issues.

Good luck

* No money back guarantee on this though.