PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To pay or not to pay - Type Rating
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2008, 16:22
Lafyar Cokov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a military guy with x-thousand hours and 16 years of flying experience - I could not believe that anyone - particularly anyone in my position - would pay for their own type-rating.......right up to the point when I was in an interview for a particular job that I really wanted and the company guy said "Of course you'll have to fund your own TR". My belligerent and 'stand up for the guys' response was: 'Of course - no problem!"

As with many things - if we all stuck together and no-one said they would fund their own type ratings then of course - the industry would take notice, just as if we all also said that we are not going to pay these ridiculous prices for fuel - the price would have to come down. When reality hits home however, people need jobs, or need to use oil fueled engines, and we cough up - if there is no other way of achieving our aims then we 'mugs' have to pay up.

I am very, very sad that this is about the only industry where one has to pay about £20,000 to land a job but the laws of supply and demand have won the day and here we are.