PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - costs of Jets
Thread: costs of Jets
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:09
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has accused you of being an idiot. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and those of us who have been flying for many years realise how aeroplanes can bite. Even experienced pilots crash, take the tragic event in London a few weeks ago.

What I feel with you is that you are fumbling in the dark when you really need to have a realistic plan not only for your flying aspirations but also for the aircraft you need to fit your usual flight profile.

For that you need to start from the basis of what the usual mission profile will be. How many hours a year will you use ?Will those hours warrant owning your own aircraft? If you want to own your own aircraft outright do you need extra income from other sources.

While you maybe coming into money I dont get the impression that you will be mega rich in aviation terms and you dont want to blow the whole lot chasing a pipe dream.

My gut instintcs still tell me that a Citation 11 is your best option. One with a Branson Grosse weight mod and N reg.

FAA is your best way ahead mainly because of the intensive ground studies you will need to gain the correct licences to fly it through JAA

My gut instincts also tell me that you would be better sharing the aircraft and owning a third share and that you will need to budget for an experienced Captain for at least 3 years.

When I started flying 25 years ago I too had visions of using a plane like a car. I even had it in my mind that I could follow the roads at a 100 feet and that as soon as I had my PPL that was it I would be a fully fledged pilot.

Once I had achieved the PPL I very soon realised that it was a licence to start learning.

When you start to look at Jets flying in RVSM airspace at 7 miles a minute it takes many years of experience to make the right descisions and to be ahead of the game and the jet. It takes many years of experience to read weather and to make the right choices and it takes many years of experience to know when something is going wrong and to know what.

I am not trying to put you off but to be realistic in your purchase and flying aspirations. There are too many in aviation who are quite happy to tell you YES YES you can do anything. There are too many who will happily tell you all that, take your money, smile and leave you to pick up the pieces.

I am just sorting out the mess by such a purchase at the moment. Please be careful and not blinkered otherwise you will find the money you have come into dissapearing at a faster rate of kts than the jet you hope to fly.

And no I dont tell you what you want to hear which I am sure many are quite happy to but then I would not be doing you any favours.

Pace