PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Wheel Tips ???
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2008, 00:31
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A conventional gear airplane doesn't require a different skill set than an airplane with a nosewheel. It just requires that things be done properly....

.........I think it's helpful to think of the tailwheel as having a maximum acceptable range; just a very little bit to the right or left behind you, before it starts to take on a mind of it's own. Within that range, something just a little less than the spread of the gear, you're okay. Let it go beyond that, it's going to take brake to catch the turn, and you may not be able to do it. That's where groundloops happen. If you can keep the tailwheel caged so it doesn't move right or left but a short distance, you won't have any problems. The way to do that is to catch small motions early, and get your control inputs in early...be ahead of the airplane instead of behind it, reacting to it. This comes with experience,and it won't take much at all to get the hang of it. Sort of like riding a bicycle...but with a third wheel.
This is spot on, and it all comes with experience. I wince when I see nosewheel aeroplanes landed 3-point (as oh so many are!!!), with little or no hold-off. It hurts the aeroplane, and it's poor technique. A tailwheel aeroplane would reject that pilot's poor landing with a nose-high bounce, which will require to be correctly addressed by the errant pilot if it's to be recovered.

Tailwheel aeroplanes simply require that you land correctly. That's all. If you don't, they'll present you with a situation you'll need to sort out.

Nosewheel aeroplanes will accept sloppy tecnique - untill the nosewheel gives way, not neccessarily during a poor landing but perhaps as a result of an earlier lazy landing by someone who just doesn't care - or hasn't been taught.

SSD