PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Wheel Tips ???
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 22:09
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A conventional gear airplane doesn't require a different skill set than an airplane with a nosewheel. It just requires that things be done properly. Slight misalignment on landing or when taking off, for example, is often not nearly as noticable, and the results not nearly as tangible, in a tricycle gear airplane. A tailwheel makes you work more honestly (some say harder, though I don't believe it) to achieve the same results.

Remember that your takeoff and landing attitudes, both two and three point, are the same as sitting in the airplane on the ground in your parking spot. Your three point attitude is the same as the airplane at rest. To practice getting the two point attitude down, put the tailwheel on a set of sawhorses or a truck bed and sit in the cockpit. Close your eyes, envision the takeoff or landing, then open them and see what you'll see when the airplane touches down, or the tailwheel lifts off. Getting the correct sight picture is half the battle.

I understand what's being said about hesitancy to push the stick forward on takeoff, but that will go away after a few takeoffs, and a few landings.

When it's calm, in some airplanes I like to hold the tailwheel up with forward pressure after a two point landing, and retract the flaps as I apply forward stick. The tail comes down as the flaps go up, and once the tail is down I can pin it with full aft stick.

On takeoff, just the opposite. Some tailwheel airplanes I fly require flaps as part of the takeoff procedure, either before applying power, or during the takeoff roll. While you're learning, I recommend not changing the aircraft configuration while you're on the roll. With a little experience, however, it's a useful rough field technique, to protect the flaps and allow a little quicker acceleration. One type I flew had a STOL system that drooped the ailerons, and the takeoff technique involved moving full forward stick while applyin full flaps, to get the tail up. (Due to the runway length, as soon as the tail was up it was full aft stick to clear obstacles on the end and the runway was behind...).

I think it's helpful to think of the tailwheel as having a maximum acceptable range; just a very little bit to the right or left behind you, before it starts to take on a mind of it's own. Within that range, something just a little less than the spread of the gear, you're okay. Let it go beyond that, it's going to take brake to catch the turn, and you may not be able to do it. That's where groundloops happen. If you can keep the tailwheel caged so it doesn't move right or left but a short distance, you won't have any problems. The way to do that is to catch small motions early, and get your control inputs in early...be ahead of the airplane instead of behind it, reacting to it. This comes with experience,and it won't take much at all to get the hang of it. Sort of like riding a bicycle...but with a third wheel.