PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cleared to Land?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:59
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- What happens if an unexpected gust suddenly "grabs" you while down there in the hold-off? You're sitting there quite a while by the sounds of things.
You do just as you do in the flare in a crosswind landing. Dip your wing towards the gust and keep the aircraft straight with the rudder. But you would not want to do this in gusty conditions.

- What speed do you have on the ASI while all this is going on? If you are truly holding off & need power then you are behind the drag curve, in which case you're doing "min app speed" & you're nose-high & sinking without a good dose of power. Otherwise, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but you are not really holding off.
Any powered approach (at least in small aircraft) when using the manufacturers numbers is behind the drag curve, especially the flare. Nothing special there. With flaps deployed, the nose is not all that high. And since you're in ground effect, the power required is less than you'd think. Still, I guess you need about 1800 rpm or so to float along. (For reference, cruise is 2350, max is 2700 rpm) Speed would be just above stall speed, as with any flare.

- Have you tried going around from this position? Does it feel secure? Nose high with moderate power doesn't sound like a good starting point if you ask me?!? Have you watched how much height you're losing?
At that altitude you can't lose much height or you land... :-) Otherwise the go-around is just applying full power, waiting for a speed increase, then climb away slowly. Raising the flaps depends on the aircraft involved - I probably would not do this in an aircraft that can't increase speed or climb away with full flaps.

- Ever asked a pax in the back how the manoueuvre feels?!?
Well, it feels like a touch and go, without the touch. Remember the attitude before the go-around is just a plain landing attitude with an extended flare. And after the go-around you're essentially in the same situation as just after rotation in a normal take-off.

Listen, I'm not an instructor, but not sure this is a technique that maybe you should be advocating to be used widely. I stand to be corrected.
I'm not advocating every student uses this in every situation. All I'm advocating is that if you're experienced enough in the aircraft and with the field involved, if the field is long enough and conditions are right, and your landing clearance is not forthcoming due to traffic ahead vacating late, then this might be a way to delay your go around decision.

And I'm not an instructor but I think if an instructor would do this hold-off-in-the-flare followed by a go-around with a student a few times during flight training, then that would greatly increase the students skill in manipulating the aircraft at low level.

And I still can't see this being at all a good idea in a taildragger, whether aiming to 3-point or wheeling it on.
I don't have taildragger experience and I don't know how well they can climb away once they're in their three-point attitude. But obviously you should not paint yourself in a corner with this - you should always have the ability (read engine power vs. drag) to actually do a go-around if needed.