PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake turbulence incident at Manila International
Old 29th Apr 2008, 13:18
PA-28-180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wake turbulence incident at Manila International

Hi Guys!
Forgive me, but this is my first eye witness posting!
Today (April 29), at 12:55 local (Philippine time), I saw a PAL 744 encounter wake turbulence. Where I was, was, approximately 10 KM south, standing on the roof of a 12 story building.
I saw what MIGHT have been either an A330 or 777 landing prior - large twin jet.
What caught my attention was , the 744 was VERY close behind and winding down a very steep glide slope.
On approach, the 744 at approximately 500AGL suddenly rolled right 15 degrees, then left 10 degrees. On the initial right roll, there was a nose down of approximatley 3-5 degree's.
The 744 finally stabilized and began a GA. During the GA, they climbed runway heading (16) to approximately 900AGL and began a left turnout. They then shifted to a RIGHT turnout. Shortly afterwards, they passed directly overhead of where I was, and at that time reduced engine power to normal from TOGA to make a wide left downwind.
What really struck me was that it was obvious that the handling pilot was definitely 'rattled' during the beginning of the GA...what direction, etc. The aircraft didn't become stable until almost overhead (Alabang intersection - still oscillating side to side). Even from 10KM away, this was a scary one to watch!
P.S. How close were they on approach? When the 744 hit the wake turbulence, the preceding aircraft was just completing their flare for landing! The usual is a 7 mile trail minimum at NAIA. Seems like the 744 tried to remain above the preceding aircrafts glide slope...but......
Anyone have any further information? I have a contact with local ATC and am waiting for an update from them, and will post when received.