PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Site Landings
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2008, 21:17
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 442 Likes on 234 Posts
Jelly,
Therefore, if the tips of your rotors stray over the 'boundary' of a congested area you must ensure you're above 1000ft of the highest obstacle within 600m.
Yes, on the edge of a congested area, I would agree, but if your LS is in the congested area (I would suggest that one building behind you makes it so), you need a gap of 1200m unless you have a written exemption.

Ask Keith T. to put it in writing, see what he says then. The only way you will find out for sure is if you get your day in court. Personally, I would rather not risk that option.

I had a written discussion with the legal branch of the CAA a few years back when a local PPL holder resident complained, quoting Rule 5 (actually the 1500 foot rule as it was then), about the police helicopter I flew as CP, landing at its base ). To be more correct, I discussed it briefly and then pointed out that it was a CAA approved helicopter base landing site and in any event aircraft operated under a PAOC are exempt the provisions of Rule 5. They ceased the discussion at that point and the unit carried on about its legal business.

P.S. I think you possibly missed my phrase "into a congested area". BTW, I have felt obliged to apply for quite a number of Rule 5 exemptions in my time. The CAA have never advised me I didn't need one and refused the payment.... I suppose one could be cynical and say "so what...."

Last edited by ShyTorque; 27th Apr 2008 at 21:43.