PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: 457 Visa
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2008, 12:58
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaahh... how exactly do 457 visa entrants "increase the skill of all pilots"?

I was warned that PAF was a troll, and after this last piece of obsfucation, I have to agree. I thought I'd gently shown you that an economic purist would abhor the concept of 457 visas, as all they do is delay the inevitable workings of the market (as evidenced by the quoted studies showing immigration has no effect on what would've happened anyway). The REAL WORLD impinges on reading theories, studies and data analysis etc ....and I'll be very clear about this, because this is the bit that you learn in the "big school", not the lecture hall.........because studies such as those quoted are only meaningful when looking at large samples over long periods.
THAT MEANS you are not thinking about the young people in the next year or so, who may only number 50, who will miss out on a career as a pilot because some overpaid airline executive arsehole decided that 457 visas might earn him his bonus this year.

But those 50 young people will remember. It's not communism, smart alec, it's humanism. Maybe only on a small scale, but clearly some people are passionate enough to still care about the bigger implications.

Here endith the lecture.