PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ek Airbus upgrades delays
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2008, 09:54
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just counted 13 Airbus Captains on the seniority list who joined after April 05. In other words, less than 3 years to Command, while there are lots of F/O's on the list ahead of them. Why are these 13 out of sequence then? And why are numerous DEC's hired into the LH seat on the Boeing when guys are waiting on the Bus? I thought this was ONE airline, not TWO.

I suppose some of them are Accelerated Commands but that is STILL NOT IN ACCORDANCE with the FOM. F/O then Accelerated then DEC.

If I am out to lunch on those numbers, then my apologies, but other than Accelerated Commands, they must be DEC's.

In this time frame, there were NO new airbus aircraft arriving and yet they still took people out of seniority. What is going to happen when the new Airbus start arriving?

The number of DEC's on the Boeing in this time frame is shocking. Either way, Airbus F/O's have been seriously disadvantaged by the policy. The company needs a Boeing Captain?......... hell there are tons beyond 3 years waiting on the Airbus.......... slide them over !!

Whatever the numbers, there is no denying the fact that F/O's have been....... and will continue to be...... disadvantaged by a policy that is in direct contradiction to the FOM and the publicly proclaimed intent of the company.

This is a result of an 'intent' to disadvantage (to potentially save money), or an inability to attract candidates for F/O positions (a direct result of the same policy which must now be perpetuated in order to alleviate the crisis)

Either way, history proves (last 4 years) that DEC's are the preferred policy of this company. If that is the case, why all the subterfuge?......... simply state it in the FOM and during recruitment, then everyone knows the facts.

The company can do as it pleases. If it decides to become a DEC predominated airline then so be it. I don't think it was necessary in the past but now it might be, simply because the one big attraction of EK (a fast command on big shiney jets), is not exactly the reality of it all. Remember how it all started? ''Oh we got some unexpected A343's so we require DEC's'' What a load of crap, that was an excuse only. Once an airline starts down that road, for better or for worse, it is very difficult to alter the perception from prospective applicants and it is almost impossible to stop the policy once that happens.

It is self perpetuating. Hire some DEC's because there are not enough FO's in a position to upgrade (which in itself was a lie)..... then less FO's want to join......... so hire more DEC's because they can't get the FO's........... it is a neverending cycle.

Once again, nothing against the vast majority of DEC's. This is not about them........ it is about a stupid policy that is causing more problems than it is solving. Just my opinion.