PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ek Airbus upgrades delays
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 19:29
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SeriousFlyer,

I can verify that DEC's are now appearing in numbers on the Bus fleet. It never actually stopped! They snuck in about 15 while pretending that Airbus DEC's were a thing of the past. I have come to realize it is a cycle here. The company realizes how poorly the DEC policy is perceived by the rest of the world, so they do things incognito.

The DEC policy is INSANE !!!

I have no particular grief with DEC's as human beings or pilots, other than the 10% who are obvious nutcases. (Capt America at the top of that list)

If the DEC policy is something that a potential F/O considers a 'deal breaker', then have no illusions........ it is here to stay. Why doesn't the company publish it accordingly, and stop pretending they will upgrade based on ability and seniority?????

Management does what it believes to be the most cost effective. (although I believe it to be a fallacy) If this was a justified policy, then it would be written in the FOM. It is deceitful and irresponsible for this company to lure people into coming here based on lies.

Publish the policy, give the number of DEC's and the related delays to F/O upgrades, then people can make an informed decision. That would be fair.

~2000 pilots now........... potentially ~4000 in what? 5 years? (I admit I don't know the true number but His Highness has recently stated that due to international circumstances, fuel prices, etc, the 'immediate' outlook is for no future expansion other than what has already been announced) So throw in say, 50 DEC's a year, and how does that affect F/O's about to join? Fooks em' big time !!! 5 years from now, by the way, MOST cadets are eligible for upgrade, too. (deservedly so in my opinion)

Ok, say 50 pilots a year will leave EK too. That might be conservative, but some of them will still be F/O's so that has little affect on upgrades.

My only intent here, is to let people know the reality of the situation. If truth be known I hope all you decent and good guys still want to come to EK . But I would not be able to sleep at night if I was one of these clowns purporting the virtues of EK without giving all the facts.

Please come to EK, I honestly wish we had more applicants, but come with eyes wide open. There are good things here. Nice destinations (although crappy layovers and bad per diems), great aircraft and maintenance, lots to do in DXB (although the city will wear you down over time), the pay is acceptable (only due to no taxes) , and generally a great bunch of pilots with whom to work. Sadly our management are less than desirable, in large part due to NO recourse from the GCAA and general HR policies in this region.

Why have a DEC policy when there is no need for it? You MUST ask that question. There are probably 300 F/O's more than capable of upgrading TOMORROW, so why hire pilots that jump the queue?? This policy says a great deal about how management views pilots.

Thank god we have ED, (who actually views Capt America as a good leader and aircraft Captain), and TCAS who is basically propping up his BA pension (and has no interest in things at all), and AAH (who actually despises pilots), looking after our best interests.

Goodness me, when I get going and start thinking about how they mess with our contractual agreements and dare I say, HEALTH, I start to reassess. Haha. Thank goodness for the beach !