PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 11:23
ABZlad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Taylor
The frustrating problem is what the BAA tell you. {removed}
And this stuff appears in the local press, so BAA obviously leak this to papers. An attempt to appease the business community up here?
Agree with you Richard. It's time the BAA came clean with their plans, so that the local population, business or otherwise, can trust them.
I can't remember if it was he BAA that made the claim, or if the press speculated on the planning application, but it was announced that Aberdeen was getting a 300m runway extension which would enable flights to America etc. Insider information seems to indicate that the extension will be a maximum of 120m and recent speculation based on Ferrovials precarious finances leads some to believe that the extension just won't happen (unless Dubai Ports Authority buys the place)! I know that ABZ isn't for sale (yet) and that DPA aren't buying British airports, but if you start a rumour, you never know!

I reckon that ABZ's success combined with lack of investment is stifling it's growth. If an airline wants to operate to LCY it will be primarily for the business community, therefore it will be after an early morning departure slot. All stands are full first thing in the morning and at least one aircraft (usually Wideroe) is remotely parked. Until the BAA invest in more stands I'm afraid we won't see much more fixed wing growth at Aberdeen.