PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC phraseology
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 09:24
letMfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Z10
"turn left heading 210, cleared ILS approach runway 18, report established"
You foreign chaps are so lucky! I wish our out of touch CAA would allow us British ATCOs to use that phraseology. Our new-fangled mouthfull still gets incorrect or confused readbacks from many pilots (including our own British ones).
I find it incredibly arrogant of our "safety" regulator to impose this phraseology on us when the simple ICAO version is used, and works, in most other countries of the world. It would also be perfectly adequate at my, busy, airfield and most other airports in the UK. If some airfields have a special problem e,g. Not wanting aircraft to descend below their allocated level to the platform level until established on the localiser, then why wasn't the new phraseology only applied to them, allowing us to use the universal phraseology which most pilots are familiar with?
I feel sorry for non-British pilots who fly most of their sectors in Europe and then have the occasional flight to UK, who are then faced with our non-standard ATSOCAS stuff followed by our non-standard ILS phraseology!