PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baltic Air Charter Association (BACA)
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2008, 02:24
charterguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brent C Rude

I know they vitoed the CAA's attempt to push ATOL on brokers some years ago.
As a body representing brokers they should insist that their members are ATOL bonded. This whole industry is largely unregulated and allows cowboys to sell air charter from a garden shed.

This is why the US DOT is seeking to prevent brokers from selling air charter without economic authority (financial fitness test). I wish the CAA would introduce similar regulations here to get rid of all the parasites who wish to make a quick buck without assuming any liability when things go wrong (their contracts are full of disclaimers).

Don’t get me wrong, there are many brokers who protect their clients, but there are also many ‘wannabes’ who take their client’s money and run.

If anyone from BACA is reading this thread, start putting some safeguards into place so that membership of BACA actually means something. Maybe you should have liability insurance, so that brokers’ clients can make a financial claim against the association, if they have lost money through the actions of one of your members.

If members of the public are reading this thread – my advice would be to look out for brokers who have ATOLs. At least you know that they are financially sound and that your money is safe.

Discuss.

CG