PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making things better for the passenger - Check-in
Old 24th Apr 2008, 08:19
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xeque,

It was at Munich and I was on a Lufthansa flight.

The process (this was nearly 2 years ago so apologies if the sequence is wrong) for check-in with baggage:

Use kiosk (I would think also available on the internet) to check-in.
During check-in process asked if you have hold baggage.
If yes, number of bags to check-in.
Collect your boarding card/s and are sent to an automatic bag desk.
At the bag desk you put your boarding card into the system; you are then asked to verify the number of bags.
Place your bag on the scales/belt.
You are asked security questions about your bag. Assuming you answer correctly process continues.
If the bag is within weight/size limits the desk produces a bag tag and the screen gives you instructiuons on how to attach it to your bag.
Attach the tag as instructed and OK the screen.
The desk then scans the bag and tag and, if all is OK, releases the bag into the bag system and returns your boarding card.
(if you have more than one bag the weigh/tag process is repeated etc before your boarding card is returned)
If your bag is overweight or oversized the bag desk rejects it and you are directed to a manned desk. Similarly, I suspect if you answer the security incorrectly you will be sent to a manned desk.
The whole process from arriving to seeing bag disappear down the belt was less than 2 minutes.

Happy to be corrected by any other ppruner.

My role at that time had some involvement with very high volumes of passenger check-in and I was fascinated with this process - it was the first I had experienced - and, as I was early at the airport for my flight, I watched about 15 passengers use the facility; all without any problems.

GH