PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 55, 65, 75....
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 05:38
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solidarity

It seems the "my gripe is bigger than yours" game continues.

A scalers
I can understand the A scale angst of not having received a payrise since 1996 - I can understand the apparent disparity of B scales getting payrises for much of their existence. But I think A scalers need to understand the size and scale of the disparity. As many point out, its not how much you earn that counts, its how much you have after costs of living are taken out. So if we assume B scales barely cover the cost of living then the fact that an A scaler on the same career path would earn about $6-10million more
than a B scaler must surely tweak some empathy for the B scaler plight?

B scalers
Most of us 'ole timers' joined an airline that seemed to specialize in largesse - 3 months profit share, almost 20% payrises, 3 years to command. Suddenly it was taken over by a corporate culture more akin to walmart. No more profit share, time to command slipped out to 10 years. Since that time we have suffered degradations to CoS, 3 year paycuts and ever diminishing levels of benefits - nibbled to death by a thousand ducks I think Nigel called it. Whilst our financial aspirations have had rather drastic reductions we have watched B scalers get 'improved' salary for many years.

So who has more right to feel aggrieved?

RA55/65 is a contentious issue. Whilst it may seem to be an A scale vs B scale issue, it isn't. Its a senior vs junior employee issue - or captain vs FO/SO issue. More than half our captains are B or C scalers. The issue is about the added degradation to career progression that RA65 would entail for those with less than 4 stripes.

Whether RA65 is legislatively required is arguable - it is definitely corporately desired. But CX wants to degrade the conditions of those that get extended and reduce or remove any bypass pay for those affected. We should ensure that those that work past 55 are extended with no degradation to CoS and that those whose commands are delayed are fairly compensated. I have already outlined how that can be done - its not rocket science!

CX is the 'bad guy' behind this - not A scales for joining early and having suffered degradation in career earnings and feeling aggrieved - not B scales for joining on lower salaries and then getting 'ancy' when an even greater blowout to time to command occurs. Blame the cause of the malaise - our corporate mismanagement cancer - not the symptoms!

Whatever 'deal' is offered - weigh it up in terms of the effects on you individually and to the pilot body in general.

CX - its just a job!