PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Idiotic JAA
Thread: Idiotic JAA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 16:43
C-141Starlifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this post is more of a statement.....

I am a dual US/Citizen of a European Nation.

I have been looking in to converting my US ATP with multiple type ratings and several thousand hours of flight time.

The conversion process is extremely idiotic, meaningless and bureaucratic in nature, for no reason other than being difficult.

You have to sit in on 14 written test that is designed to be extremely difficult, with a very high failure rate, even after you have proven yourself as an experienced aviator....then the buffoonery is not over yet, you have to take additional check rides in an airplane to prove to the European member states you can fly an airplane.

I have no idea who came up with this rules(read the UK) for the European member states. This does NOT promote additional safety in ANY way or fashion. This only hampers and prevents any safe operations of European aerospace. Right now they hire extreme low time copilots that possess the
JAA license, but with NO experience instead of hiring the best they can from overseas or worse yet park airplanes because of pilot shortage.

I think the European aviation authorities should be ashamed of them self for this legislation and meaningless rule making.
This does not promote any additional measure of safety, other than limiting airlines in Europe from hiring the best qualified pilots they can get. After all this is a global economy. I believe if you have a work permit or citizenship in a EU or European member state, possessing a pilot license from a ICAO or FAA country it should be fairly easy to convert a commercial or ATP license.

The FAA in the USA is very accommodating and helpful in converting a JAA European pilots license. This is ludicrous as I am sure most of my fellow aviators would agree. I am going to file complaints with FAA, and also with congressmen that is involved with the FAA legislation to start retaliation against this unfair practice., the FAA practices very fair and non discriminatory practices regarding this. If you want to work in the US you need a Green Card or Citizenship, something thats very fair.

I feel for you brother. I did the conversion a few years ago and it was nothing but @$$ pain. I however, am not an EU citizen therefore had to arrange the work permit. I saw no way around the conversion issue so I buckled down and completed the process. While I learned very little from the subjects, I got to know the folks in the CAA very well...
I'm quite happy that the conversion is over but moreover, I'm happy to be employed here in Europe. So far it's been extremely satisifying.

I wish you good luck.

Lifter
PS: I'm former USAF with both FAA/JAA ATP licenses as well as an FAA/JAA 73 type.